Mindfulness + Movement

 


Mindfulness is focusing on the current moment, not allowing past or future stresses to distract you. When we add mindfulness to exercise in any form (heavy lifting, stretching, running, etc.) we are paying attention in a way that helps us avoid harm and increase benefit.

In fact, top level athletes in many fields do this. They spend a lot of time identifying signals from their bodies, then signals are interpreted. With the help of trainers, they use this information to alter exercise selection and the conditions they are done under. (Practice at a higher altitude? Add to the warmup to allow time for heart rate response?)

What Does a Mindful Movement Session Look Like For Regular People?

Let’s say I am doing a little Saturday morning yoga and enter my absolute favorite pose. I am engaged mindfully, and focus on all the wonderful sensations swirling through my body. Some muscles feel powerful, holding me steady. Other tissues are lengthening, relaxing into the glorious stretch. My breath is deep and consistent. By noticing all the joys of this moment, I am immersed in the small delights of movement. 
I am left feeling refreshed, and interested in doing yoga again which means my routine is more sustainable. Time spent feeling good also helps manage stress, which means that the workout is even more valuable.

Let’s say that I continue my flow and I hit a pose that is challenging for me. I am staying in tune with my body, and taking time to notice each sensation; I notice the exact points of discomfort. This might be where a stretch is too much, or I am not yet strong enough to endure holding a position. I can now use these sensations to adjust. I could choose to modify to get relief, hold for less time total, or take a mini rest and come back to the position. I can choose whether it is best for my body to skip this altogether, or to break it down into pieces and select supportive exercises to make me stronger. I can also determine if I need the help of a physical therapist or other professional to help me function optimally. 
I am aware of my body’s signals, so that I can be respectful of my body and do what is best for it. This is key to progressing toward my goals and prevent injuries.

Tips to Incorporate Mindfulness Into Workouts

Start with mindset: take a deep breath and commit to an open, curious, non-judgmental state.
  • Use this time for gathering information. The aim is to gain a new level of appreciation and understanding of your body. Finding out that you are struggling to tap into your body’s signals is also data, and is valuable knowledge. All data coming in is success, there is no failure.
  • Keep the internal conversation between you and your body, leaving out judgement and societal expectations.
Set up for success: Plan to move in a place that you love, anywhere you have room to move and is free from distractions: outside, a favorite gym, or a space in your home.

Really listen to your body: your breathing, your posture, and your senses. 
  • Pay attention to whether your left leg has better balance, your right knee feels slightly funky, or your energy is a little low. 
  • Focus so much on your body’s signals that you have no brain space for past or future stresses.
Use your breath to aid you, and aim for enjoyably deep and rhythmic breathing.
  • Determine whether mouth or nasal breathing is most appropriate for your activity. It will be different if you are skiing at high altitude, swimming laps, stretching or chopping wood.
  • Notice what your breath is like without any adjustment, and if that is different from "ideal" breathing for your activity. 
  • Experiment with breathing deeper, and notice what that feels like.
Reflect after your mindful movement session is complete. Accept all findings without judgement, and with awareness that you can adjust your activity to make it more wonderful next time.
  • Notice your energy levels. Do you find it easier to find a calm mental state? Are you energized? Perhaps you are completely drained, and your hands are shaking. 
  • Identify residual sensations. Can you still feel the effects of your last stretch, or that push up bench press superset? If you had to describe how you feel right now to an alien, what words would you use?
  • Take stock of your headspace. Do you feel powerful, uplifted, proud, fulfilled, discouraged, sad, or frustrated? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Health Smart Online & On Your Phone?

Developing a Workout Routine

Tips from Mental Health America: Look Around, Look Within: Your surroundings say a lot about your mental health

How to Build a Low Cost Home Gym

Welcoa Well Balanced: How to Protect and Maintain Eye Health

Join Us for the Corporate Cup 5K!

Coping with Stress - Tips from CDC