Are your New Year's Resolutions SMART?

 Make your New Years Resolutions SMART goals!

What do you mean? Of course it's smart to make goals! 

But how can we increase the chances of us sticking to them?

We can use the acronym S.M.A.R.T to clarify our goals, keep tabs on our success, and increase our confidence to reach our dreams!

S- specific

M- measurable

A- achievable

R- relevant

T- time bound


Let's break down a few of the most popular resolutions and turn them into SMART goals.


1. This year, I want to stress less.

Specific- What actions are you going to take to help yourself manage your stress? 

    Meditation, walking, reading, bubble baths, yoga, or hiking

Measurable- How many times are you going to do these de-stressing actions? How long will you spend each time?

   Every day! For one hour!

Achievable- Did you choose a realistic number?

    Actually, maybe every other day for 30 minutes to start out. I'll increase when I'm ready!

Relevant- Why is choosing to stress less important to you?

    It will help me be kinder to my family and more productive at work.

Time bound- When do you want to start and end this goal?

 I'll start on January 1st and re-evaluate on Jan 31st

SMART GOAL: I will practice meditation, walking, or yoga every other day for 30 minutes for one month.



2. This year, I want to save money and pay down debt. 

Specific- What actions are you going to take to help yourself save money? 

    Meal planning, budgeting, and buying used items when I can

Measurable- How much money do you want to save?

   Pay off all my debt! Save 10,000 dollars!

Achievable- Did you choose a realistic number?

    Actually, maybe I'll look more closely at my budget and decide what fits in.

Relevant- Why is saving money important to you?

    It will help me reduce stress and plan for my future.

Time bound- When do you want to start and end this goal?

 I'll start January first and plan to save $X each month for the year. 

SMART GOAL:  I will create a budget each month and fit in $X to put into savings and $X to pay down debt. The money will come from my food budget (by reducing spending by meal planning weekly) and my clothes budget (buying used most of the time). I plan to reevaluate this goal at the beginning of each month. By the end of the year I plan to have paid down 75% of my debt and have $X in my savings account.



3. This year, I want to start exercising.

Specific- What do you like to do for exercise?

   Walking, hiking, biking, and yoga

Measurable- How much time do you want to spend on exercise?

   I want to meet the recommendations for 150 minutes per week! That's 30 minutes 5 days a week.

Achievable- Do you think you can start at the recommendation, or do you need to work up to it?

    Actually, maybe I'll start with 20 minutes 3 times per week and increase when I'm comfortable

Relevant- Why is exercising a goal that is important to you?

    I will be able to keep up with my kids, have more energy to do things I want to do, and feel more confident. 

Time bound- When do you plan to do this activity?

 I'll start by exercising right after work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. 

SMART GOAL: On January 3rd, I will start walking or biking for 20 minutes after work on Mondays and Fridays, and doing yoga for 20 minutes at lunchtime on Wednesdays. On January 31st, I will reevaluate to see if I feel ready to increase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Health Smart Online & On Your Phone?

Developing a Workout Routine

Tips from Mental Health America: Look Around, Look Within: Your surroundings say a lot about your mental health

How to Build a Low Cost Home Gym

Are you Balanced??

Welcoa Well Balanced: How to Protect and Maintain Eye Health

April is National Stress Awareness Month