Repurpose Your Leftovers: Savory Breakfast Bowl



Who wants to eat the same thing all the time?
Not me!

Who wants to save time and money by using up leftovers?
Me, me!

A couple nights ago, I made this really yummy Mediterranean Style Chopped Salad from The Kitchn (but I swapped out some of the ingredients for things I already had on hand). 

  • For greens, I used kale from my garden + a head of red leaf lettuce from the farmstand down the street. 
  • Instead of 1/2 cup of farro (which I ADORE), I'm trying to work my way through a truly giant bag of quinoa I bought, so I cooked 1 1/2 cups of quinoa, planning to feed 4 people and have leftovers to use later in the week.  
  • Instead of plain red onions, I made a jar of my favorite pickled red onions to add some pizazz to the rest of the week (It takes like 5 minutes, I promise!)

We've been eating it for days, and while it's been wonderful to have delicious food ready to go, I'm ready for a change of flavor! 

Enter: Southwestern Quinoa Breakfast Bowls


Using the rest of the leftovers and random things I pulled out of my fridge and garden, I ended up with a delicious breakfast bowl that would rival anything I'd order out for brunch. Plus, it only took about10 minutes - it's even easier than making an omelet. 

Ingredients

  • Hearty greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach, etc.)
  • Leftover cooked whole grains and/or beans (quinoa, brown rice, farro, etc)
  • Any leftover veggies you have - cooked or raw
  • An egg 
  • Spices: cumin, salt, garlic powder, etc
  • Heat safe oil
  • Toppings: cheese, guacamole or avocado, pickled onions, fresh herbs

1. Rip or chop up some hearty greens (I used kale from the garden)  Use more than you think you'll need because they cook down a lot! (maybe about 2 big handfuls)

2. Heat some oil in a skillet and add the greens 

3. Add a pinch of salt, cumin, garlic powder, and/or anything else your heart tells you to add. 

4. Once your greens are just barley wilted, add in any other veggies you have on hand to warm them up (I just had about 6 cherry tomatoes)

5. Add about 1/3 cup of any type of leftover cooked whole grains on top of the veggies. You may want to add some oil to prevent burning/sticking. Push everything around in the pan for about a minute until they're just warm. Bonus! My quinoa had some chickpeas floating around- yum! 

6. Push the veggies and grains off to the side in the skillet (or dump them into a bowl). Add a bit more oil to the empty side of the pan, let it heat up on the hot pan for a few seconds, and then crack an egg on top.

7. Flip the egg, transfer the veggies/grains to your serving bowl, and add the egg on top. 

8. Top with cheese (feta, chevre, cheddar, mozzarella, etc.), avocado, pickled onions, or fresh herbs



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Health Smart Online & On Your Phone?

Developing a Workout Routine

Tips from Mental Health America: Look Around, Look Within: Your surroundings say a lot about your mental health

How to Build a Low Cost Home Gym

Join Us for the Corporate Cup 5K!

Welcoa Well Balanced: How to Protect and Maintain Eye Health

Are you Balanced??